Pageviews from the past week

Thursday 1 December 2016

Pink


There's something about pink. When I was younger a taste for pink or an inclination to wear it was a sure sign of homosexuality. The pop psychologists were all over that one, along with body language and the distant father thing; utter bullshit all of it and still is. Nevertheless it was important not to wear anything pink, lest it be thought... you know. 

Why anyone thought there should be some subcultural code going on, I can't imagine. Obviously there are and always have been subcultural codes, but to work they really need to confine themselves to the subculture and be unambiguous. Asking my new line manager when I first started work if he'd like me to suck his dick was not a mistake I would make twice; why else would he wear a pink tie? Saucy little tart, he had it coming to him.

That said I must admit I have an affinity for pink. More along the deliberate outrage line than some innate desire to have the decorative taste of a ten year old girl. I obviously have no such taste, I am a grown up man with mature tastes. Temper tantrums on the other hand...

So here are a couple of cardigans, one red with pink buttons and one pink with pink buttons.


Does that look much less butch than red with red I wonder? The real question is about the semiology of the cardigan in general and I'm saving that for my magnum opus (I'll be inviting people home to see that!). 

In this day and age would the pop psychologist read too much into wearing a pink cardigan? I would, for certain but then objectivity in the cardigan department has never been my strong point. I'm going to go out to the bank when I've finished writing this. Let's find out.

No comments: